Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Płock - Mazovian Museum & lunch

It was a one day trip, and it was freezing cold outside, so I chose the museum out of many interesting places in the city.
I walked there through the old town. It looked like the time stopped here long ago. The bars on the way were old-fashioned, and nicely designed. I didn't see much people because of the weather, so I could imagine, that the city was really stuck in the past :)

The museum entrance is easy to find. There's a sculpture in the front.
It's Mira Zimińska-Sygietyńska (1901-1997). If you're a fan of folk music or old movies, this person may be interesting for you. She was born in Płock. She founded and lead one of the most famous polish folk groups "Mazowsze". Google for more informations.
The statue was built here to let the fand be with their idol more personally. As you can see, she still receives flowers from them :)

Now the museum!
It had two main parts. The first one was about Art Nouveau. Since it wasn't the typical sightseeing time and the weather was really bad, there were only 4 tourists in the whole big building. The staff was waiting for me to come to each of the 4 floors to open the rooms for me, and close them when I was leaving. I felt like I was stalked a bit XD
The exhibition was awesome! It wasn't modern (no screens, no exhibition-themed games, etc.), just cabinets and room reconstructions. But it was 100% enough.
There were old prints on the first floor.

I like this kid of art, but there were quite much of them and I was afraid, that the whole exhibition would look like that so I will get bored after a few minutes, but I was wrong. It was just a kind of introduction :)

Next - the more interesting part:



I don't want to show you too much, because I hope you'll see it with your own eyes one day, but there are some more cool things:




There's also jewellery on the 4th floor, but it's so shiny, it's hard to take a good photo through the glass :(

Now we're moving to the 2nd exhibition - history of Płock!
There are 3 floors (oldest to newest times). The entrance looks like the first "museums", which were just private collections of old things - pottery, human skulls, fossils, etc.



Then the actual exhibition comes. It's more modern than the Art Nouveau one.
Scrrens, short movies and a mock-up (a huge one!) Płock with a recorded lecturer's voice talking about every part of the city - highlighted while the lecturer talks about it.

There are lots of local archaeological treasures, typical for the local cultures. If you have something to do with the discipline, you'll surely recognize the names.


The geneaogical trees and old maps will make it easier for you to remember the history if you're curious about it.

There are also some toys presented if you get bored by staring at the typical museum stuff :)


The exhibition was awesome, but I got a bit tired and hungry.
I asked the staff were to go for a lunch, and they told me about 2 popular restaurants in the old town. One of them looked more like a tavern - it had a banner with beer production method. Both of the restaurants looked fine, but they were full of people (and really loud), and I would be waiting like 40 minutes or more for the food. Nope.
I chose a different place. There was only 1 customer inside, so I was wondering if I chose right, but I decided to give it a try. I'm glad, that I did :)
The owner gave me some of his products to try (as an appetizer), and a shot-glass of home-made lemon tincture. He said he uses old receipes, from a grandmother's notebook and he really likes his job, but he's go for the retirement soon because he's getting more and more tired. It's sad because I really liked the restaurant and the food I ordered. See, how it looked :)

I hope I'll go there at least one more time. There are so much more things to see in Płock...
I'll just wait for a warmer day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment